Saturday, July 18, 2015

Happy Birthday Arwyn Jean Transue! - 6/18/2015

Welcome Arwyn Jean Transue!  She was born on Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 6:43 AM, weighing 7 lbs 2 oz, 19" long, and a head circumference of 13.5".  She was 1 week early, and boy was she in a hurry to come see us!  Early in my pregnancy I had a few crazy dreams that she would be really early, so I was always pretty convinced that she would be, I was just praying that she wouldn't be too early, and thank goodness she wasn't.  But one weird/cool thing is that Arwyn was born on Leia's due date, and Leia was born on Arwyn's (6/26).

Anyway, I had been having pre-labor contractions almost every night since the Saturday before, and that night, right in the middle of one, I felt Arwyn kick me and then there was a pop, followed by a gush of water.  At first I thought she had kicked my bladder again, but then I realized there was too much liquid coming out considering that I had just gone to the bathroom.  So I figured out it was my water that broke, and that was at 12:30 AM.  We called the hospital, but they said not to come in until I was having regular contractions (which I still wasn't) or at 8 AM.  The contractions then started around 1:30 AM, and i tried to rest, but really, that's pretty much impossible.  Instead, I got up and got Leia's school lunch ready so everything would be easy for Nana and Poppy to deal with, and cleaned up the kitchen since we felt so crappy last evening and had just left the mess for later.  I felt like I ought to be getting everything ready while I waited for the contractions to be regular because I had this feeling that once it was go time, things would progress quickly so I needed to be ready.  It's crazy how intuition works.  At 2:30 my contractions had been regular for an hour, so I woke Josh up, called the hospital, and called my Dad to come over and be with Leia.  By 3:00 AM we were in the car, and by 3:30 we were all set up in our hospital room.  I was at 4 cm, and they confirmed that my water had broke, but I still had another pocket that needed to release.  I told Josh to take a nap, and I settled in for the long haul of pain and attempts at relaxation and breathing.  I lost track of all the timing after that, but maybe by an hour or so later, the contractions had gotten intense enough that I woke Josh up to give me some support.  And then all of a sudden it was so painful that I decided I wanted a shot of Fentinol.  They had to check me again and I was already at 8 cm!  And now the pain was so intense that I didn't think I could hold out for all the hours of labor I thought I had left (based on my prior experience).  I finally got my shot, and not 10 minutes later the pressure changed and I felt like I needed to push.  They checked me again, and my dilation was complete!  They ran to call the doctor and told me not to push until she came, but seriously, that was not an option!!  I was pretty sure the nurses could handle it, and Arwyn and I were not going to wait for anyone.  Luckily Dr. Coll rushed in just in the nick of time, and 3 pushes later, only 3 hours after arriving at the hospital, our baby was born!  It was pretty cool because Dr. Coll actually had me reach down and grab the baby myself as she came out, which I totally wasn't prepared for and didn't think was possible.  And then Josh cut the cord.  I ended up with another little tear, but fortunately nowhere near as bad as last time.

Now we have another perfect little princess in our lives.  Arwyn came out with a crazy head of hair, is a pound lighter, and a bit smaller and darker in the face, but otherwise she reminds me a lot of Leia...lots of similar facial shapes and expressions.  And the greatest thing is that Leia LOVES her new baby sister!  And it was pretty crazy, because I think Leia had some intuition or sensed some sort of change the night before that the baby was coming because even though she has been pretty Mommy needy for a few weeks now, it reached a whole new level before bed that night.  She was so freaked out and crazy like I had never seen, would not let me go, like she new she wouldn't be seeing me again in the morning.  And a combination of Leia's behavior and some other feeling in my gut also gave me some sort of feeling that tonight was the night, even though I had desperately hoped tp hold out another week.  Again, it's so crazy how intuition works!

A long and wonderful session of skin to skin with Mommy and baby right after birth.

Our perfect little package!

Happy Mommy and a very alert little baby checking out her new world!


Not quite as good as it was inside, but still a pretty nice place to snuggle!


Been waiting 10 months to look at this cute little face!


It's just so amazing to think that this perfect little person just came out of my belly!


She had her eyes open so much, really wanted to check things out!


Skin to skin is just the best!

Skin to skin with Daddy!

Official weigh in...7.2 oz!


Bath time!  New protocol is to wait for 6 hours of skin to skin time before doing the bath.

Proud Papa!

Check out all that hair!

Everyone is tired but happy!


Leia meets her little sister for the first time..."I love her!"

Just chillin'!

Poppy looks on as Leia excitedly plays her new present from Arwyn...she's such a generous baby sister!

Daddy taking on Arwyn's first big meconium poop...ugh!


My little princesses!

"She's so little! Oh, she's looking at me!"

So proud to finally be a big sister!

She loves holding the baby!

Leia Sings to Newborn Arwyn from Katharine Transue on Vimeo.



Cute little foot!

I think her feet are pretty big...will she be tall?

A little battered and bruised from her fast and furious journey into this world, but beautiful all the same!

Nana was so excited to meet her newest grandchild!

First outfit...not too interested in stretching out into the foot section!

Had a little issue getting the seat small enough for this little peanut, but now we are ready to head home!




No comments: