Wednesday, May 2, 2018

L&A Years 4&2 Week 43: Leia's Harrowing Chairlift Adventure - 4/19/2018

Arwyn impresses me when she says she wants to read books to me.  She knows almost all the words on each page of her "Good Night Beach" book.  Arwyn did a great job skiing this week.  She spent more time than usual on the leash without being afraid.  She was so smiley and happy all weekend with the Grandparents.  She stayed up really late several nights in a row because she wanted to sleep with Leia and MumMum, but that actually meant no sleeping.  And she ended up getting sick with a fever after swim class, but it never really turned into anything, so I think it was just exhaustion and chlorine combined, or something like that.  Both girls had a blast at the gymnastics/Moana themed birthday party of Arwyn's friend Ava.  Arwyn has been talking up a storm recently.  She just likes to go on and on with these long involved stories, and gets mad when people interrupt her.  "Leia, I'm talking!"  Arwyn was so psyched to be back doing music class again this week.  She was also so happy when I came to school to meet her and play before leaving on my weekend trip.  I wasn't going to see them before I left early the next morning, and I'd been at work all week as well, so I really hadn't seen them much.  I wanted to give them each a little attention.  I think it worked out well because she didn't even cry when I left her (which was good).

Leia had a very harrowing chairlift experience this week.  She and I were riding up Hot Wheels together, over at Alpine, and Arwyn was on the chair in front with Grandma and PopPop.  Arwyn's ski fell off on the unloading ramp, right in front of where Leia needed to jump off.  I bent down to try and grab it out of her way, not really worrying about her because she always gets off the chair all by herself these days.  But next thing I know, she's frozen like a deer in the headlights, and I guess the ski being in the way scared her, so she forget to jump off!  It was too late for me to grab her, and she started going around the bull wheel.  I'm yelling frantically for the lift op to stop the chair, but soon realize that there is no lift op and I better take action myself.  I skated over and tripped the stop gate (that Leia's legs had been too short to trip herself), so finally the chair stopped, but now Leia was just a little too far and too high to just pull her off.  And now the chair is stopped, and there is still no lift op, and I'm really freaking out about what we are going to do and why there isn't anyone here to get the chair going again.  I was fumbling with my phone to try and call Stacia to get the number for dispatch, when Bruce got over to the lift shack and saw the lift op head down, fast asleep on the control panel.  He had to bang on the window really hard several times before the guy woke up!!  Luckily the guy was super apologetic, so Bruce didn't kill him.  But then he's getting out a big tarp and suggesting that Leia should jump off!!  She was probably 12 feet high, and with her skis on, so we didn't think that was so smart.  Finally Bruce just got the snow rake and tipped the safety bar back down, and Leia agreed to ride back down by herself.  She's never even ridden up a chair by herself, much less down!  We all skied down along with her, and she was so brave.  At one point she even yelled down that she would just stay on the chair, ride back up, and meet us at the top!  But, by the time she got down to the bottom and got unloaded, it was all too much for her, and she burst into tears.  Plus, at that exact moment she got a spontaneous bloody nose for no reason, and was completely gushing gallons of blood for 10 minutes straight!  Poor thing!  She wasn't too interested in riding up that chair again, so we went in for lunch first.  We made sure that took at least one more run before we left that day, and I kept having to reassure her that it had been a very rare occurrence, and that there would definitely be a guy up there watching.

Other than that, Leia had a great weekend with her grandparents.  It went better than usual, I think, because I stayed out of sight more than usual, so it was a nice time off for me as well.  Leia slept in the guest room in the bed with MumMum all weekend for naps and night (which translated into a lot of late nights), but the two of them were thick as thieves the whole time.  Leia freaked MumMum out one night when she started talking about missing her great grandfather John (who she never actually met, but hears both Josh and Vivian talk about him like that), and how he's a skeleton and Leia will come with MumMum when she becomes a skeleton and goes to the land of the dead.  Of course it all came from the movie Coco, about the Day of the Dead Holiday, so the whole thing totally made sense for someone who had seen the movie.  But you can sure appreciate how unsettling that whole conversation would have been for someone like MumMum who had never even heard of the movie!  After the grandparents all left to go home, Leia went down for nap totally sobbing about the fact that MumMum was gone, and then woke up sobbing as well.  It sure was heart wrenching to hear how sad she really felt.  She told me at bedtime that night that she thinks I like Arwyn more than her, and when I asked her to give me an example, she listed activities from morning until night in which she felt like I had treated ARwyn better.  It's a tricky situation though, because she's already jealous of Arwyn, so she behaves badly to get attention, and then sees Arwyn getting treated better because she's not behaving badly, and then Leia gets more jealous and has more bad behavior!  I was really happy that she came and told me calmly so we could talk about it though, and it just reinforced what I was already thinking, the I really need to find time to give Leia more attention!  That's why I decided to go visit both her and Arwyn individually at school before I left for my trip.  But I almost missed my promised hang out session in her class because we were so busy at the hospital.  It was a good thing I didn't though, because she had told Lynsey about it, and had definitely been waiting for me all day!  Josh had a really funny encounter with Leia this week too.  One day in the car she started drawing a beard in the air, and told Josh to watch.  He said, "Cool, how did you learn how to do that?"  And Leia says, "Oh, I just see it in my head and then I make it."  "That's called visualization." "Yeah, that's what I do, visualizizization."  That girl is so amazing!


Ski day with Grandma and PopPop!


Chairlift selfie with my little Arwyn, who was in a very good mood today!

Family shot with technical difficulties!

Grandparent chairlift selfie...nice face PopPop!

After another great season with the Summiteers, Leia has come to the end of the ski season with some incredible skiing skills!  She is really confident down the steeper slopes, and she's almost making parallel turns!

Fun lift ride with Leia, moments before her harrowing chairlift experience.

The scene: Leia on the left, heading back down, chairlift stopped thanks to my quick thinking to trip the stop gate (middle), and lift shack on the right, with no lift op anywhere in sight!

Poor little Leia, patiently waiting to see what everyone will do about her situation!

Finally awoke the lift op, and his first idea is to open up the catch-tarp and have her jump!



I don't think so!  That's a little high for a small child to jump with her skis on!

Next idea: knock down the safety bar with a snow rake and send her back down...bye Leia!

So small, so high, and so alone...first time ever alone on the lift at age 4.5, and she's riding in the wrong direction!


So brave and well behaved though, sat still as a rock!


Here she comes, off loading back at the bottom!

Cool as a cucumber until she saw Mom, then she burst into tears and had a huge bloody nose all at once!

Feeling better after a little lunch.

Loved hearing Leia's version of chair downloading incident today.  Only sorry I didn't have the camera ready for her very first recount upon arriving in the ski lodge; that one was the best!

Back up we go for one more run...have to get back up on that horse...of course she insisted on a different chairlift (totally understandable).


Arwyn has mastered the turning, the speed, and the balance...next up slowing down!!


Leia hasn't been to ballet all winter, but she's been watching the movie "Leap," which is apparently a great teacher.  We were walking into the pool, when the rhythm of the overhead music just struck her, and she burst into the most amazing dance.  So impressed with her natural skills! (The few minutes before I started recording were even better!)


Wonder Woman with her "flower neck-a-less"!

Seriously, coolest shirt ever with a detachable cape!

Bike ride with PopPop!

Moana themed Hawaiian dance party!


It's becoming a regular thing, donuts on PopPop's last day!


Thanks for the donuts, see, they are delicious!


Usually PopPop catches fish, but today he caught a Mermaid!

I think there's a mermaid named Arwyn stuck in that tail!


Love love love how creative Leia is these days!  Coffee carrying carton turned into modern art!

Watch out for the scooter gang!


Josh got creative tonight, but still within our Healthy Eating Program guidelines...blackened ahi with strawberry/grape salsa and fried rice!  Yummy!

My first ever trip to Vegas for my first ever Arbonne GTC (aka, Global Training Conference)!

Love this cool picture...growing my Arbonne business!



Everywhere else in the country they encourage you to use your refillable water bottle and to save plastic.  Only in Vegas do they tell you to waste a new cup for each serving!!

Love my new job...already getting awesome little perks like this new bracelet from my team leader!

Love these girls, so glad to be joining their awesome team! (Jessica and Anika)

So crazy that this whole arena is filled to the brim with Arbonne Consultants...everyone loves working for this company!

Pretty cool training conference when you get to see circus acts and very powerful motivational speakers.

Anika and I checking out all the new products.

Yep, loving this Arbonne team!

I definitely felt Limitless by the time I left this conference!  So inspirational!








No comments: