Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Arwyn Week 52: Pillow Floppies - 6/16/2016

Arwyn did some pretty cute stuff this week.  Her big sister Leia was drawing, so Arwyn wanted to as well.  She had her own paper and pencil gripped in her hands, and was definitely making scribbles on the paper, even though the marks didn't show up too well.  One day when she was playing with Emmett and Leia, my mom and I both heard her say "Yay-ya," aka Leia, which seems pretty monumental!  And she absolutely loved eating Daddy's turkey meatloaf, which made us so happy.  She also really enjoyed eating the tiny rocks/pebbles at the beach in Lake Forest when we went to see the lupins, which did not make us happy.  When she tried eating sand, she figured out pretty quickly that it was no good and stopped, but those pebbles, she just kept popping them right in, and I couldn't empty my hands fast enough to stop her!  Oh well, guess that's how she'll develop tough insides to match her tough outsides.  Normally Arwyn is really tough and up for anything (she has to deal with constant abuse from her big sister after all), but the other day I figured out that Arwyn is afraid of the shower.  On the one hand, it's probably pretty normal, but on the other hand, I was kind of surprised.  I use the shower head on her all the time in her little bath, and she doesn't have a problem.  And I'm pretty sure I had her in the shower with me before without a problem as well.  But all of a sudden, the two times I brought her into the shower with me this week, she was so scared when I had her under the shower spray.  I was already holding her in a hugging position so I wouldn't drop her slippery little body, but when the water hit her, she hugged me back to tight.  I felt badly that she didn't like it, but it was so cute how hard she was squeezing and holding onto me!  When Arwyn gets in bed with us these days, she loves to do this move that we call "Pillow Flop" or "Floppies."  She'll climb on top of your body, then she stops, looks at you, flips over and splays her head back on the pillow or blanket, and bursts our laughing (probably because we laugh every time ourselves too).  She'll do it over and over for 5 or 10 minutes or until we all stop laughing every time.  We went to the doctor for her well-baby check up and I realized that she had horrible bright red eczema splotches all over her upper body that haven't been there recently.  We did just go back to giving her dairy products, so I'm pretty convinced that she's still got a dairy allergy that she hasn't grown out of by 1 year like Leia did.  I guess it's off to the allergist to confirm, ugh.  Finally, we are so happy how much Leia and Arwyn love their school and their teachers, but the other day, Josh did get a little jealous because when he went to pick Arwyn up, instead of her usual excitement to see him, she started crying when he tried to take her out of Maria's arms!

Leia had some pretty funny and amazing moments this week.  Over a week after voting day, when we were again driving past the polling location, Leia asked if Daddy was captain yet.  She has such a great memory about random stuff like that, I don't think she'll let it go until I tell her that he is captain.  I guess he better win the election...Transue for President!  Leia always likes baths once she gets in them (well, until I start trying to wash her hair), but she never wants to get in them.  Well, for the first time ever she hopped in so fast with no fights the other day because I bribed her with a cupcake...rewards do elicit good behavior!  Too bad I'm not willing to give her cupcakes everyday.  But she is starting to get a little better with her behavior.  We are back to using timeouts, which I didn't really want to do, but now that she's a bit older she's more receptive to them (plus I think they might be using them at school).  Anyway, we only had to do a few and now just the threat accompanied by the count to 5 seems to be working, for the moment that is.  She and I had some really good days of treasure hunting and imaginative play without any hassles over at Nana's this week, so that was nice too.  Josh and I worked really hard to bust out the first section of the climbing wall that we are building for the girls for their birthdays.  When Leia saw it, she was so grateful and thankful for the present we had just given her, but she wanted nothing to do with climbing it!  Oh well, maybe when we get the belay harness installed she'll like it better.  Daddy got some LASEK eye surgery this week, which turned out to be really painful and a somewhat slow recovery, as far as actually being able to see again goes.  It was interesting to hear Leia's description of the problem when she told her teachers at school: "Daddy's hurt because the doctor tricked him."  Clearly a rather logical interpretation of Josh's comment that he didn't realize how much this procedure would actually hurt!  Finally, our daughter has the most crazy, scary, incredible memory in the world.  Recently I've been trying to get Leia to cooperate more with teeth brushing at night by telling her that we are going to see Dr. Gustafson the dentist who will be upset with her if he see's that she hasn't been brushing her teeth well.  I figured this tactic might help because she actually liked the dentist, and had a very good experience there, though it was an entire year ago.  Then the other day, I took both girls to see Dr. Barta for their well-baby checkups, and while we were waiting, Leia was asking me about getting stickers and pennies from Dr. Barta.  I said she would get stickers for sure (we always do), but I wasn't too sure about pennies, she'd have to ask Dr. Barta about that.  I didn't think too much into it at the time because she loves getting pennies all the time.  Then when we were leaving she got all upset because she had forgotten to get her pennies.  She starts crying over and over that we need to go back to see Dr. GusGus and get the pennies.  I was a bit confused, my mind going to the mouse GusGus from Cinderella, so I just brushed her off.  But a little later in the car, it totally dawned on me exactly what she was talking about.  She was remembering from her one and only visit to the dentist (Dr. Gustafson, aka Dr. GusGus), which took place an entire year ago when she was barely 2, that at the end of the teeth cleaning, she got a token to put in the toy dispenser and get a prize.  Wow, that kid has a mind like a steel trap!!

She sure is getting better and better at standing up almost solo...this great balance trick left her with 2 free hands!

Laughs are contagious!


Time for a little gluteal stretching!

Password = Leia

Not sure where she learned such great dance moves, but if it wasn't so funny, we'd have to be afraid!



Emmett and Leia are getting to be better and better playmates!

Awe, cousin love!

Hugs should never end because you'll still need that hug after it makes you fall!

Uh Arwyn, hang on tight!  Looks like you're going on a wild ride!

Sort of looks like a reverse tug-o-war (is that a push-o-war?) and Nana is losing!

I love how this wagon has turned into our go-to baby sitter for Arwyn.  Unfortunately she'll be climbing out of it pretty soon now.


Arwyn loves the "give it, take it back" game.


Is she not the cutest little thing ever??  Such a sweet little smile!


Looks like Arwyn the Climber might be up the new wall before Leia!



Section 1 of the new climbing wall we built for the girls for their birthdays.

Wading in the warm, shallow waters of Tahoe at Bristlecone Beach.

Beautiful field of Lupins here this time of year.


First time ever that Arwyn wouldn't smile for a picture!

We really do live in a beautiful place!

We used to call this "Poop Neck Daddy," but Arwyn hasn't lived up to the name yet.

Caught on camera: pebble on the tongue just before it went down the hatch...too slow Mommy!

Getting silly with double hats. And trying to be incognito about having another pebble in her hand.

Leia and Daddy treasure hunting down Lupin Lane.

Rock art and treasure all in one...we made her leave the dirty bird feather, much to her dismay.


Love these two cuties!

Double win with Leia's bathing suit choice today...matched her underwear and the Lupins!

My little artists concentrating very hard on their next masterpieces.

Butts up!! Also take note that she prefers snuggling with the latex rooster that Leia gave her rather then any of her soft animals.